The place you are in definitely has something to do with your mood and well-being. Employees spend many hours at the office and this is reason enough for the significant influence of the office environment on employee well-being.
A workplace designed carefully without compromising quality in any way can work like magic when it comes to making the work atmosphere productive and less stressful. To give their best, the employees should find the work environment as a comforting and calm space.
A study conducted by the Fellowes Workplace Wellness trend came up with some interesting findings.
- About 87% of employees appreciate it if they get options like sit-stands, wellness rooms, ergonomic seating and more.
- Employees of younger companies find their requests for in-office benefits turned down less than employees of established companies.
- A large percentage (93%) of workers in the tech industry said that they would consider staying longer at a company that offers healthier workspace benefits.
Almost 70% of offices are open plan which is fantastic. However, it has to be implemented in a failsafe manner to ensure employee productivity and satisfaction. The employees should be given private rooms to take calls and quiet spaces for meditation.
Office design is an important business investment. WELL building standard administered by the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI) is the first standard that focused on incorporating human health and well being into building design and construction.
According to IWBI, workplace design that gives importance to lighting, air quality and interior layout have a major influence on the productivity and well-being of the staff.
WELL Building Standard
The WELL standard focuses on seven key concepts.
The air quality inside offices is crucial in employee productivity and health. A research carried out by the World Green Building Council has found that there was an 11% increase in productivity due to increased fresh air and reduced pollutants inside the office. Here are some ideas you can try to improve the air quality inside the offices.
- Introduce a no-smoking policy
- Install improved air filtration systems
- Give importance to maintaining humidity at a healthy level
- Keep the windows open
Drinking the required amounts of water is important to stay active and focused. The activity and focus levels of employees have a direct impact on their productivity. You can increase the water intake of your employees by:
- Installing a water cooler
- Educating the employees about the benefits of drinking water
- Providing safe drinking water
A study conducted by the Department of Design and Environmental Analysis at Cornell found that employees who were seated within the 10 feet range from a window reported 84% increase in headaches, eyestrain and blurring of vision.
Here are some ways you can improve your office lighting
- Control glare
- Maximize natural lighting
- Move any furniture that is blocking sunlight
- Add skylights
Your productivity is largely dependent on what you eat. If you want your employees to stay focused and productive, you should encourage them to follow a balanced diet rich in essential nutrients.
You may try the following tips:
- Limit access to processed foods
- Ensure the availability of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Ensure that the office space has proper handwashing facilities
- Promote healthy food options
Employees leading an active lifestyle will be more productive and contribute more to the company. Exercise improves the flow of blood to the brain and keeps the employees alert and active. Here are some ways you can improve the movement at the workplace.
- Space for physical activity
- Bicycle storage
- Open and accessible stairways
Employees should feel comfortable while inside the office. The right ergonomics can reduce the severity of musculoskeletal diseases and muscle fatigue that are common causes of reduced productivity. Here are some ways you can create a comfortable office environment:
- Well crafted workplaces that allow employees to alternate from sitting to standing positions
- Quiet zones and limited noise within the office building
- Informal meeting area and creative areas for brainstorming
A study on the biophilic impact on workspace found that people who work in spaces that have natural features reported increased levels of overall well-being. They also reported an increase in creativity and productivity. Employ these strategies to improve the emotional health of the employees.
- Place potted plants and add living walls or gardens.
- Do not ignore the importance of outdoor spaces like a rooftop patio or staff garden.
- Offer flexible options to the employees about working schedules and spaces.
Designing your office is as important as designing your homes because you are going to spend nearly the same time in the office as you spend in your home. Investing in office building design by focusing on employee satisfaction increases their productivity and contributes to the growth of the company.